Sunday, June 24, 2012

Windows 8 Release Preview Randomly Freezes (Freeze Fix)



Last week I decided to test drive the new Windows 8 Release Preview, I did a fresh/clean installation coming from Windows 7 Professional.  After starting up, it booted up fine, and everything seems to be running fine.  It was not until 5-10 minutes later I experienced lagging/freezing with my system.  I was able to move the mouse cursor around but I could not do much more then that  I had to reboot and see if fixes it.  Upon booting back it will do the same thing after 5-10 minutes.  My next step to fixing the problem was to update all drivers and see if that will fixes the problem, after doing so it did same thing.  So I got to a point, where I was going to go back Windows 7, because I needed a stable environment.  Upon doing some research, I ran cross Microsoft forums and found a solution that actually helped me.  Ever since then i have not experienced a  single freeze up,  running 6+ hours.  


*DISCLAIMER*

I take no responsibility for any fault or damage caused by any procedures within this guide. No warranties of any kind are given.


I am using Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 motherboard and well use Asus Bios menu as a example in this guide:

Enable Intel Virtualization Technology

Boot into bios menu (normally when PC boots up by tapping Del it should boot into bios) and go into Advanced Mode, and then go to Advanced tab. And then you want to expand the "CPU Configuration" option and find "Intel Virtualization Technology" and enable it and save the settings (F10) and then exit and boot back into windows.



When you are back into windows, hold down windows key and press "I" and then click on control panel.


Then you want click Programs, in the Control Panel

Then under programs and features, you want to click "Turn Windows Features on or off"


Find Hyper-V under features and check mark, "Hyper-V' and check to make sure "Hyper-V Management Tools" and "Hyper-V Platform" are check marked as well. 


After pressing "OK" your PC will reboot couple of times, and from there on you should be ready to go.  Comment below, if this solution helped you.

Source: microsoft.com


No comments:

Post a Comment